- The terms school board and board are used in this handbook to refer to district school boards and school authorities.
- School structures can vary and there is a growing number of schools that are structured to provide programs for students from Full-Day Kindergarten through Grade 12 or Grade 7-12.
- A committee of the whole board or committee of the whole is a board committee that is made up of all of the board’s members.
- School Board Governance: A Focus on Achievement, see http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/policyfunding/grc/grcReview.pdf
- Education Improvement Commission. The Road Ahead II: A Report on the Role of School Boards and Trustees, (Toronto: Government of Ontario, 1997). p. 11 http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/document/reports/eic/road2/eic2.pdf
- Information about Grants for Student Needs is found on the Ministry of Education website at: http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/policyfunding/funding.html
Exemplar documents for subjects and courses are found at:
Elementary documents: http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curriculum/elementary/index.html
Secondary documents: http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curriculum/secondary/index.html
- According to Ontario Regulation 464/97, a local association is an organization or association that operates locally and is affiliated with a provincial body operating to further the interests and well-being of one or more groups of exceptional students.
- Research drawn from: (Cotton & Wikelund, 2001; Stelmack, 2005 (Fan & Chen, 2001) (Feinstein & Symons, 1999) (Melhuish, Sylva, Sammons et al., 2001) (Allen & Daly, 2002), (Desforges & Abouchaar, 2003).